"In The Box"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "In The Box"

Recently I've been flooded with questions concerning whether or not I mix songs "in the box". The personal inside joke I share amongst myself is not being sure if people still asked this because I had not been asked in numerous years prior to the recent inquiries. It seems to be second nature that everyone who records/mixes uses some type of digital software. This is more than likely given today. The "in the box" points to the gesture of continuing the mix in the DAW or bringing the tracks/voices up on a console to mix using the separate channels on the board.

The mere notion of this question suggests that many have a choice. In most instances, they do not. Back when digital software was new to the scene amongst the masses, many times the option was to continue to spread the voices out over the channels of the console to mix. This was due to the warmer feel of a console as opposed to keeping the signal, dynamics, etc. 100% digital. Although there was a sacrifice of recording to straight digital, there wwas still vintage magic to be made by using channels such as an SSL and/or Neve console.

Today....many studios have no board. They may have channel strips which are not really channels. This is simply controllers that enable one to have the feel of operating a console which many of us still prefer to endure. So, by asking whether or not "in the box" mixes even occur becomes a matter of if options are available. If I could, I would. Yet, majority of the time the option does not present itself.

The Extreme
    A Kid Named Cus
    Writer for Beattips.com
    twitter.com/kidcus

If I had the money/space I would definately get a board. I love the sound and the fact it doesn't tend to have the "ultra highs" you get using software/digital. If I had the money to get some good analog recording/mixing gear, I probably wouldn't use my computer at all except as a storage medium.
    What's Up Millz, I had a question for you, do you find yourself multi-tracking drums or other instruments in your production process, in other words are you in need of more than 8 channels on a regular basis?

Also, you can buy channel strips from companies like API, SSL, and Neve that are identical to the channel strips in those legendary consoles, unless of course you are in need of something like 24+ channels, then obviously the board makes more sense.

But regardless of the board, where would you be tracking it to? A tape machine?

I will say though, you considering reducing your computer to just a storage medium is somewhat confusing. Do you really have no use for all digital has to offer, outside of just convenience?
    But I've heard his beat "beats", and he really goes in like a monster... So yo, Castro, stop frontin', and post that heat! -Sa'id
    www.castrobeats.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Millz(The Beatsmith)
      Hey, what's up Castro! Basically, to answer your first question "I had a question for you, do you find yourself multi-tracking drums or other instruments in your production process, in other words are you in need of more than 8 channels on a regular basis?"

Actually, I do need at least 24 channels to do a whole song (with vocals) the way I would like. Unfortunately money and space won't allow me to set up the way I would like. Over many years, I went through many boards, (I had a Teac Scorpion, a Mackie that my older brother gave me, a Panasonic , Roland O1v mixing console) I loved the roland, but it developed a really nasty ground noise so I sold it. At the time I had these boards, I wasn't as experienced, and I didn't see or understand the qualities and capabilities of these boards. So when times got hard... They went for sale. I won't sell any of my gear now. They are secured for my children when I pass, hopefully very long from now. But back on topic, My Ideal setup would be all hardware (mostly, but not all analog) because there alot of good things you can do with digital, but I like a more dirty, grimy edge that digital doesn't do for me. I was a little shallow in saying I would only use the comp. for storage as I have some good plugins I use often. I also like the using my computer to chop samples, create programs, manipulate samples and create drum kits. I have to bounce man, I gotta go to work. I will elaborate more later.

Peace.

When you say, "..to do a whole song the way I would like" what does that mean exactly? Also, do you have a song or something to exemplify this dirty/grimey sound you speak of?

I was basically just saying do you find yourself multi-tracking more than 8 channels on a day to day basis, but I feel the more appropriate question at this point is are you running a studio or is this for personal recordings?
      But I've heard his beat "beats", and he really goes in like a monster... So yo, Castro, stop frontin', and post that heat! -Sa'id

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Millz(The Beatsmith)
        Meaning, to do a whole song in hardware without bouncing to digital media, in other words I would like to make the beat, mix down on console and burned straight to disk (or tape). As for a song to exemplify dirty/grimey sound, all you have to do is go to my soundcloud and listen to some beats.

My wife and I have been running a studio since 2003, but due to the lack of loyalty and the fact that most people you come across in this business are self absorbed, hating ass people who would ruin their own chance at success just to make sure you (or in this case me) don't shine. It's kind of hard running a music business without any support. But that is another topic for another day. In short, I do this shit more for personal than anything else. My wife gets on me constantly trying to get me to start recording again. At this point, my spirit is broken and I really don't have the stomach for this shit anymore. I really want to get more into the business side of the music business, like management or booking agency.
        I'll definitely check out your material, but I was more interested in your actual influence that made you want that sound to begin with. Also on a sidenote, have you done much work with tape that you're preferential toward it? Tedious process editing with a razor blade, no?

It sounds like you've had some bad experiences in regard to dealing with people in the realm of music, which I'm sure most of us have had at some point, but sometimes you become stronger by being self-sufficient, support can come from your own strength/will.

When you say "..get me to start recording again", does that mean you are also an artist in your own right, or do you mean taking on new clients to record?

The business side of music is probably much worse than the dealing in the creative side of music, but they both have their pitfalls. There was a man by the name of Tom Dowd, arguably the best recording engineer that ever lived. He engineered some of the biggest records ever (sometimes produced), but managed to stay level with himself, knowing why he was in this. He didn't try to politic his successful engineering career into starting his own label, nor did he use his successful innovations in the field of multi-tracking to start an audio-electronics "outfit", but instead stayed true to what he loved doing, recording/creating music.

I like to think of The Wires' Jimmy McNulty, he found peace/balance as a regular "beat-cop" but in turn was restless for action, whereas in the role of Detective, he was the best of the best except his personal/professional life would be in shambles. Point being, it's tough to have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

Working...
        X