"Sold, not to be told"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sold, not to be told"

I'm sure we've all heard the phrase, "the game is to be sold, not to be told". This was also the name of Snoop Dogg's 3rd LP. Many things come to mind when I hear this phrase though.

One way that I've seen it, is a person who has been in the game for umpteen years who has endured the blood, sweat and tears that this industry demands from your soul. After somewhat moderate success, they then take another under their wing and "protect" them from the leeches or whatever have you the game possesses. While keeping them out of harm's way thru their respective tutelage, the newcomer has a much easier road with less potholes, blemishes, etc.

Many become infatuated with the "if it were not for me" concept. This is the feeling that may overcome an individual (even in a friend outside of business) where they gather the notion of being compensated for their knowledge. Not just knowledge, but industry smarts and business savvy which sheltered those from the BS that the predecessor had to experience.

I've seen different sides of the fence. Is it wrong for these people to think in this fashion?
    A Kid Named Cus
    Writer for Beattips.com
    twitter.com/kidcus

It really isn't a crime to think like that because "we" as musicians/artists were forced into that "watch for the bullshit" mindset. It was put upon us by people in suits sitting in office controlling the world! Ahaha na for real, it really was something that we were born into, cause how many times have you heard the, watch that dude line or copyright your shit? There are people out there who claim executive producer titles and never made a beat in there life! However, one may argue that producing is not limited to the creation of the track, I'm clearly on the other side of that fence, but those people just want the money that comes with the title as well as the recognition. You know this, probably ten times better then me. Beat jackers and biters etc etc. Shit, I even heard that Diddy stole Juicy from Pete Rock, I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't be surprised. If you wanna look out for someone in the game once you are in it, make sure they get off to the right foot, that could be good or it would be really bad. That "little brother" might never learn the necessary lessons to really keep him on his toes, this business is all sharks, so when the shark that was guarding the "wannabe shark" has to leave it, then what? It can only go off what it has been taught, no real life lessons. Maybe it could work, maybe it can't, but as far as the "if it wasn't for me people" they can all go fuck themselves. I appreciate successful humble people, or even if they aren't super successful and just really helpful along the way, you better save that pat on the back for someone else.
    But I've heard his beat "beats", and he really goes in like a monster... So yo, Castro, stop frontin', and post that heat! -Sa'id
    www.castrobeats.bandcamp.com

Comment

man. i understand wanting to get paid for your harships.

it means your time has value

on the other hand. if you see a promising artist and you wont drop knowlege cuz you want them to pay you for it its kinda like wtf

id say give knowlege for free to those who you feel deserve it. everyone else can pay for it
      . Listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cus View Post
        Many become infatuated with the "if it were not for me" concept. This is the feeling that may overcome an individual (even in a friend outside of business) where they gather the notion of being compensated for their knowledge. Not just knowledge, but industry smarts and business savvy which sheltered those from the BS that the predecessor had to experience.

I've seen different sides of the fence. Is it wrong for these people to think in this fashion?
        If the person "helping you" feels like that, and come at you with that mind set, then I'd rather not want their help... They shouldn't think like that IMO, or it'd seem like they'd' want something in return on their end... if they gonna help it shudn't be for personal gain/

Unfortunately it doesn't go like that.

Comment

Working...
        X