Emcees who also did beats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emcees who also did beats

Yesterday was different than today thru many variations. One example was the amount of individuals who indulge in production and beatmaking. Some Hip-Hop artist seemed forced into making beats for a number of reasons. Maybe their vision wasn't being accommodated by beatmakers; maybe they wanted a bigger piece of the pie; or maybe they were just tired of waiting for their turn to come around.
    Either way, these lyricists took to the machines and made their own way. Whether they were emcees first or vice versa....who knows. (Some beatmakers started rhyming because they felt emcees were corny on their beats). Here is a list of some who engaged in both elements of the culture. Some I heard of and some I personally saw do a beat......feel free to add more if I left some out:

Krs 1
    Ced Gee
    Erick Sermon
    Parish Smith
    Wyclef
    Reggie Noble
    Rza
    Inspektah Deck
    Stezo
    Masta Ace
    Big Daddy Kane
    Diamond D
    Lord Finesse
    Showbiz
    Ski
    Tuffy (channel live)
    Lord Jamar
    Grand Puba
    Greg Nice
    Godfather Don
    Guru
    Freddie Foxxx
    Jaz O
    Dr Dre
    DJ Quik
    EA Ski
    Yogi
    Easy Mo Bee
    Pete Rock ("The Creator" sparked their career)
    Q tip
    Large Professor
    DR Period
    Slick Rick
    Doug E Fresh
    Rakim
    Milk Dee
    Daddy O
    Agullah
    Biz Markie
    Kid Capri
    Pete Nice
    S.I.D.
    Hass G
    MC Shan
    Juju
    Psycho Les
    Kwame
    Busta Rhymes
    Fashion
    Trugoy
    Posdnous
    Fredro Star
    Last edited by Cus; 09-20-2011, 01:10 PM.
    A Kid Named Cus
    Writer for Beattips.com
    twitter.com/kidcus

Since you repped for the old school I guess I'll come with a few emcees from the newer school, but first let me just say that I think a lot of producers who also rap rapped first. I've heard some say that they wanted to rap but didnt have any tracks to rap over so they started making their own.

Kanye West
    David Banner
    Pharrel of the Neptunes (rap/sing)
    9th Wonder
    Andre 3000
    Eminem
    Mobb Deep
    J Dilla
    J Cole
    Big K.R.I.T
    Black Milk
    "I'm a chef, not chief, cause i don't recruit/ I take a well known loop and chop it up like fruit."

https://soundcloud.com/da-real-bingo

Comment

I don't think the Alchemist was mentioned. And speaking of Q-Tip (in Cus' post), there's a new documentary on the Tribe, directed by Mike Rappaport. Dope. Saw it last week. I don't know whether or not it's been released. Someone sent me a link.

Oh, and can't forget Havoc (or is it Prodigy who makes the beats in Mobb Deep...I think Havoc).
      Last edited by john carlo; 09-22-2011, 12:23 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

This is a great list! How about - Bronze Nazreth of Wisemen

Prodigy did make some beats for Juvenile Hell and according to Prodigys autobiography he started making beats before Havoc but Hav really took off with it and became the duos producer/beatmaker and Prodigy became the main rapper. P said that beatmaking came naturally to Havoc.
        Last edited by BrandonF42088; 09-21-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't even know Prodigy had an autobiography. I've been listening to them since "Hit it from the back". The Infamous is one of the best HipHop albums of all time in my book. Top ten, at least.

Comment

weird, rite. from what i understand....prodigy taught havoc how to make beats. and yes...the documentary is in theaters now.
            A Kid Named Cus
            Writer for Beattips.com
            twitter.com/kidcus

Comment

Originally posted by john carlo View Post
              Interesting. I didn't even know Prodigy had an autobiography. I've been listening to them since "Hit it from the back". The Infamous is one of the best HipHop albums of all time in my book. Top ten, at least.
              Yeah, I read an article before that said that P was doing it first but obviously Havoc started doing it better but they both get production credits on stuff anyway. Havoc even did a beatmaking video.
              "I'm a chef, not chief, cause i don't recruit/ I take a well known loop and chop it up like fruit."

Comment

Wow this is very nice that a Emcee can also did beats because most of Emcees are only DJ's and Event organizers but mostly of them are not make beats so i am getting wondered after listen this anyways this is very nice and i think it is the most important message for all the other Emcees who are working as a DJ and Event Planning...
                Emcee Singapore

Comment

Oddisee and Nottz are both producer/rappers that haven't been mentioned. I'm a big fan of them both.
                  [email protected] arcitech
                  [email protected] arcitech_

Comment

Also..

..Black Milk.

Comment

Originally posted by mannyd View Post
                      ..Black Milk.
                      I said black milk already. So lets add Kev Brown instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbing3 View Post
                        I said black milk already. So lets add Kev Brown instead.
                        Ah damn, yes you did. Lol. I thought I had one!

Comment

did anyone mention Lil' Fame aka Fizzy Womack

Comment

Jeru the Damaja. i think he produced his third album Heroes4Hire by himself.

Comment

And i think the canadian rapper/producer classified has made some great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X