Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal Chain

What's up TBC,

Interested in talking about your preference for vocal chain for recording hip-hop/rap music (or whatever you may be recording, just specify), mainly the mic-pre-compressor components. I've found solid results with the AT-4050 and the 1073LB (Neve), will add compressor in the near future, (looking at 160VU). The prototypical signal chain is arguably a Neumann U87-1073 (Neve)/512c (API)/SSL J/K Series-1176/LA-2A, but if you feel that's not the case, let's talk about it.

There was a while where I even used a Behringer tube pre, which needless to say was less-than-ideal for my application, but believe it or not, often found some good results from it. If you have any interesting "low-cost" solutions, or pieces of gear you didn't think would "cut it" but actually did, let's talk about those as well.
    But I've heard his beat "beats", and he really goes in like a monster... So yo, Castro, stop frontin', and post that heat! -Sa'id
    www.castrobeats.bandcamp.com

Wassup cas....I'm spoiled!!! Because most recording instances I found myself a part of (studios) have the high end hardware and tons of it. So I was even able to have multiple choices at my fingertips depending upon genre, gender, etc.
    My overall preference might be the u47 going to the 1073 neve then onto either the LA2A or 1176. Not a bad deal. Yet...the u87 with the same chain or maybe an API 3124 mic pre. All works well. Also glad you mentioned the AT 4050. That mic is quite beastly. I often recommend it when people don't have the kinda $$ to splurge. And I also find that it performs better than some mics that are 2/3 times its price.
    A Kid Named Cus
    Writer for Beattips.com
    twitter.com/kidcus

Comment

Originally posted by Cus View Post
      Wassup cas....I'm spoiled!!! Because most recording instances I found myself a part of (studios) have the high end hardware and tons of it. So I was even able to have multiple choices at my fingertips depending upon genre, gender, etc.
      My overall preference might be the u47 going to the 1073 neve then onto either the LA2A or 1176. Not a bad deal. Yet...the u87 with the same chain or maybe an API 3124 mic pre. All works well. Also glad you mentioned the AT 4050. That mic is quite beastly. I often recommend it when people don't have the kinda $$ to splurge. And I also find that it performs better than some mics that are 2/3 times its price.

What's up Cus,

Nice to be spoiled man! That's dope, but let me ask, has there been any new gear that's come out that you've incorporated into your set-up? I've been reading that the Avedis E27 is really something special, which also segways into my next question, do you have a 500 series combination you've ever found effective?

Neve, API and SSL are like Biggie and Pac to me, same with 1176 and LA-2A. Everyone knows that they're legendary, I'm just looking for some new names to throw into the mix.

And yea man, the 4050 is dope, great recommendation, I owe you for that one.
      But I've heard his beat "beats", and he really goes in like a monster... So yo, Castro, stop frontin', and post that heat! -Sa'id

Comment

Thanks cas....i've yet to mess with those 500 series. The only mic pre I've come across recently that I liked was the isa 220 focustrite. In my opinion...the focustrite just CANT be wrong on any level. But it has a good mic pre, compressor (warm), eq, de esser, limiter and filter. Dope piece of machinery. I recommended it to a few people. Real good piece....maybe 1500 bucks.
        A Kid Named Cus
        Writer for Beattips.com
        twitter.com/kidcus

Comment

Originally posted by Cus View Post
          Thanks cas....i've yet to mess with those 500 series. The only mic pre I've come across recently that I liked was the isa 220 focustrite. In my opinion...the focustrite just CANT be wrong on any level. But it has a good mic pre, compressor (warm), eq, de esser, limiter and filter. Dope piece of machinery. I recommended it to a few people. Real good piece....maybe 1500 bucks.
          Thanks for the info Cus, I gotta check that out, especially since I am very cautious when it comes to "all-in-one" type boxes, I prefer a mode dedicated module, but again, I need to check that out.

How do you feel about EQ before Compression or vice-versa? I know sometimes the channel strip is built in a way that there's no option for having one before the other, but for when that's not the case, do you have a preference for what you do first? And also, do you find that even with outboard compression and eq, that you still reach to plug-ins down the line at some point?

Comment

sorry for the delay. i would always eq then compress. majority of the time when one is eqing, they're boosting. whether it is adding bottom, highs or mid. so, it's best to compress (contain) the signal afterwards. this way you know exactly how much you may need to compress depending on what you boosted.

if im dealing with outboard...i ma never touch a plugin again!!!!!
            A Kid Named Cus
            Writer for Beattips.com
            twitter.com/kidcus

Comment

Working...
            X